During hot weather there are a variety of measures that can be used to support students and staff.
The range of flexible approaches to normal school practices that can assist in hot weather includes:
- Rotating class use of air-conditioned facilities where available.
- Varying normal teaching programs through the use of shady and cool outdoor facilities.
- Encouraging students to drink water and allowing drink bottles in the classroom.
- Altering timetables or programs to avoid physical activity or the use of equipment that may generate heat.
- Postponing sporting or physical education activities that might stress students or expose them unnecessarily to the sun.
- Using fans or other devices in an appropriate way to remain cool.
- Enforcing school policy for playground or other outdoor activities, e.g., "No hat, play in the shade".