NSW public school principals can help you with your enrolment enquiries any time throughout the year.

Parents and carers who are researching their child's local school, or school of choice will also need to know how to go about enrolling.

The below enrolment information also includes details about placement for children with special needs and requirements for international students with temporary or visitor visas.
Check out School A to Z - practical help for parents on homework, child wellbeing and technology use.

Finding a school

NSW public schools have defined local enrolment areas. This means that your child is entitled to enrol in a particular school based on his or her residential address. Every public school reserves enough places within their school for students in their local enrolment area.

Out-of-area schools

Parents may however apply to enrol their child at a school outside their enrolment area. Non-local applications may be considered by the school's enrolment panel, according to the department's policy and subject to selection criteria such as availability of appropriate staff and classroom accommodation. Contact the school to find out more about their out-of-area selection criteria.

Find out the age at which your child is eligible to enrol in a NSW government preschool, when to enrol and how to go about making an application.

What is the best age for your child to start school?  When is the ideal time in the school year to start? Find out answers to these questions and details of what you will need for your appointment when applying to enrol your child in Kindergarten, or when changing primary schools.

When changing schools you will need to complete an expression of interest form while in Year 6, for placement in Year 7. Also find out how to make an application to enrol if your child is changing schools and wishing to enrol in Years 8-12.

The department provides full-time distance education for students from preschool to Year 12 whose geographic isolation or other circumstance prevents them from attending a regular school.  Students can be enrolled in a single course, or on a whole-of-curriculum basis.

Find out about learning by distance education, home schooling versus distance education, and how to enrol.


Copyright for this website is owned by the State of New South Wales through the Department of Education. The Department of Education supports and encourages the dissemination and exchange of publicly funded information and endorses the use of the Australian Governments Open Access and Licensing Framework (AusGOAL) (http://www.ausgoal.gov.au/). Copyright material available on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). This allows you to share and adapt this material for any purpose as long as attribution is given to: © State of New South Wales (Department of Education) 2015.
For more information go to http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/footer/copyright.