Validation of Assessment 4 Learning and Individual Development
The Validation of Assessment 4 Learning and Individual Development (VALID) program is providing online end-of-stage assessments for the Science KLA. VALID will assist schools to monitor student achievement and will inform planning, programming and assessment practices.
VALID replaces the Essential Secondary Science Assessment (ESSA). The structure and delivery of the tests is similar to ESSAonline.
Three assessments will be delivered: VALID Science and Technology 6, VALID Science 8 and VALID Science 10.
VALID is available at no charge for NSW government schools and $10 per student for non-government schools.
VALID Scence & Technology 6
Schools with students in Year 6 can elect to participate by registering their full cohort. Schools that register also undertake to complete in-school marking of their students' responses. This involves teachers completing a registered online training course prior to starting the marking.
VALID Science 8
VALID Science 8 is mandatory for NSW government schools and optional for non-government schools. All student responses are marked externally.
VALID Science 10
Schools with students in Year 10 can elect to participate by registering their full cohort. Schools that register also undertake to complete in-school marking of their students' responses. This involves teachers completing a registered online training course prior to starting the marking
What will VALID provide?
- High quality syllabus-based assessment frameworks that describe levels of achievement against standards. These can be used by teachers to inform school-based assessment practices.
- Online multimedia assessment tools that provide diagnostic data and time efficient reports. These can directly inform planning, programming and assessment across learning stages.
- Cohort level affective domain data from interest and engagement survey questions within each assessment.
- Five hours of BOSTES registered training that reinforces staff capability in making consistent judgements against syllabus standards.
- Systems and processes to monitor student achievement of syllabus outcomes and content across stages.
- External student assessment data that can be used in combination with school-based assessments to inform whole school planning processes.
Schools wishing to register for any of the VALID assessments can do so through the appropriate link below.
NSW government schools https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/valid-gov
NSW non-government schools https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/valid-ngov
In-school marking of Years 6 and 10 extended response tasks
Schools registered for VALID Science and Technology 6 and VALID Science 10 will have their teachers mark the extended responses for the students in their school.
Prior to marking, teachers will undertake online registered professional learning in differentiating the quality of student responses.
This professional learning will occur during the marking window. Teachers will be credited with five hours of registered professional learning.
In-school marking provides insights for teachers into the level of understanding and skills that their students are demonstrating. This informs ongoing planning for teaching and learning.
Looking for more detailed information?
VALID assessment dates 2016
||VALID SciTech 6
||VALID SciTech 8
||VALID SciTech 10
||29 Aug - 9 Sept
||2 - 11 Nov
||29 Aug - 9 Sept
|In-school marking window
||14 sept - 16 Oct
||14 - 16 Oct