Legal Studies develops students' knowledge, understanding and skills in relation to the legal system and its effectiveness in promoting a just and fair society, with a view to empowering students to participate effectively as citizens at the local, national and international level.
Through Legal Studies, students will develop
knowledge and understanding about:
- the general nature, functions, systems, processes and institutions of domestic and international law
- the operation and dimensions of the Australian and international legal systems and the importance of the rule of law
- how changes in societies influence change and reform in the law
- access to and participation in the legal system and methods of dispute resolution.
- investigating, analysing and synthesising legal information and issues from a variety of perspectives
- communicating legal information and issues using appropriate forms.
A syllabus is a document that gives teachers an outline of what students are to be taught in a specific learning area.
The syllabus and other supporting material for Legal Studies 11-12 is available from the Board of Studies.