The NSW Department of Education and Communities has made special arrangements to deliver educational programs to students who are isolated or whose special circumstances prevent them from attending school on a regular basis. Distance education provides access and equity for students who meet the established criteria for enrolment.
Distance education enrolments currently include:
- Students whose home is geographically isolated
- Students travelling within Australia
- Students temporarily resident or travelling overseas
- Students with certain medical conditions
- Students in extraordinary circumstances
Distance education provides:
- Preschool programs to geographically isolated preschool students who will complete their primary education through distance education.
- Full time Primary and Secondary programs
- Single course (Years 9-12) programs to specific categories of students wishing to study a course not offered in their home schoolPathways programs for Years 11-12 students able to satisfy full-time criteria and who wish to accumulate an HSC over a number of years.
Distance education schools are located across the state. More detailed information about enrolment criteria and learning modes in distance education can be found in the distance education revised enrolment procedures (PDF 101kB).